Orcon Usage Widget for Android

I spent a couple of hours on Sunday developing a quick and dirty widget to monitor data usage on Orcon. It displays total usage for the month, total usage allowed on your plan, and a percentage of your total plan used so far. You can download it from the market by scanning the QR code below with Barcode Scanner, clicking on the barcode on your phone, or search the market for ‘Orcon’ (its the only Orcon related app on the market right now).
Continue reading Orcon Usage Widget for Android

DiscCat update

I’m still working on it.

Turns out the API for the DVD covers website I was planning on using doesn’t work, which was a bit of a setback.  I have a workaround though (embedded web browser – find the cover you want, touch it, and then press a button at the bottom of the screen) which is a bit more complicated, and a bit slower, but it does work.  A pity I spent so much time writing code in preparation for using the API, and now I can’t use any of it 🙁

DiscCat Progress

Just a quick update to let you know how work on the new version is going.

I have finished putting in tabs, and updated the database layout.  Barcodes are no longer essential internally, so I should be able to have a manual addition process for adding items with no barcode (of course these will not be able to be searched for online or submitted back to  http://www.upcdatabase.com/).

The new database format stores all of the previous information (title, barcode, type, whether you own it or not) as well as a bunch of new information (wishlist, rented,  date record was added, date record was last modified, IMDB link, region, and a description/synopsis where you can enter any additional information you want to record).

My plans before release are to add all of this new information to the interface, and all going well, add in cover image support from freecovers.net .  I am still investigating how possible it will be to add additional data sources such as itemlookup.net and checkupc.com.

I am also planning on adding an options screen for choosing what types you want in your list.  Additional types that will be available will be Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, Playstation 2, Xbox, Playstation, and Gamecube.  If you have any types you want included, please leave a comment below and I will try and add it.

ETA: I have 1 more day off work tomorrow, and I do not expect to finish it in that time.  I am then out of town for the rest of the week, so realistically, I don’t see a release happening before  18th of July.  Hopefully the wait will be worth it 🙂

Bug reporting and Android

I don’t expect any of the people this post is actually directed at will ever read it, but here goes anyway.

If you are using an Android app, and it does something unexpected, contact the author directly.  Don’t leave a rating of 1 star, and a comment of “doesn’t work”.  The author cannot fix the problem based on a comment like that, so you haven’t helped anyone by leaving it.

Continue reading Bug reporting and Android


I started this project all the way back in April 2009. I designed the hardware, wrote the software, got it all built, and then I moved house. Finally, I have gotten back to it and finished it off, adding in the last bit of functionality I hadn’t quite finished yet.
Basically, this is a small box you can connect to any camera that accepts an external trigger. It is designed for Canon DSLR cameras, but can probably be adapted for any other camera with a trigger input.
Features include: manual shutter, bulb mode (click to open, click to close), delayed shutter, repeated shots (for time lapse etc), and delay from external trigger (e.g. trip a laser beam, sound trigger, etc).
Continue reading Intervalometer